On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Elsgaard
<thomas.elsga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I have 2 SUN sparc machines that i would like to consolidate to one
> machine using the zone/container concept, but the application requires
> a different version of solaris 10 than the one installed on the host
> server, how can i handle this?
>
> Application requires: Solaris 10 10/08

Is this a hard requirement, or "must be at least ..." requirement?
Are you ever able to apply patches on top of Solaris 10 10/08?  For
the vast majority of applications, Solaris 10 10/08 + a bunch of
patches is indistinguishable from Solaris 10 5/09.  Any application
that has a hard requirement for Solaris 10 10/08 (without any patches,
updates, or upgrades) is not an application you can afford to have
attached to a machine attached to the network.

> And my host machine where i would like to have the applications to run
> in a zone is running Solaris 10 5/09
>
> Is there anyway that i can have a zone runing 10 10/08 on the global
> zone where the server is running 10 5/09 ? and how is this done?

My guess is that the right way forward for you is to install a box
with Solaris 10 10/09 on a box, then use update on attach to migrate
your 10 10/08 and 10 5/09 boxes to the current release that is all
patched up (minus a late breaking Sun Alert or two).

Others have mentioned using the S10 brand that is part of an upcoming
OpenSolaris release.  I think that I read that this is first supported
with Solaris 10 10/09, so it would be of no use to you.  LDoms would
likely work just fine, but you should consider whether there is really
a significant difference between Solaris 10 10/08 + patches to address
reliability and security issues compared to Solaris 10 10/09.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/