I believe the SunMC container manager (and I assume OpsCenter) did this by
using a sysevent which is private :-)  Would have to use polling otherwise.

I'm not a big expert with SNMP, but if SNMP is running in a zone, will they get
a trap if the zone changes state (i.e. shutdowns) ?

BTW, the LDoms XML/XMPP interface provides  this for LDom state changes.