Mike Gerdts wrote:
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Darren Reed <darren.r...@oracle.com> wrote:
On a test system that is using only ZFS, I'm trying to create a zone
but it keeps failing with:
netvirt-d1 ~# zoneadm -z exclusivetestzone1 install
ERROR: the zonepath must be a ZFS dataset.
The parent directory of the zonepath must be a ZFS dataset so that the
zonepath ZFS dataset can be created properly.

I don't get it. This restriction never used to exist.

Zones need to be on ZFS with a particular dataset layout so that boot
environments can be managed with beadm, pkg, etc.  That is, zone boot
environments have very similar requirements that global zone boot
environments have.

Why do I need to do something extra that is mandatory?

If the parent of the zonepath is itself a ZFS dataset, it does happen

That's not what I observed...

Further to this, there's a script on Oracle's website here:

that also fails to configure & create a zone that can be installed with b154

To give an example (/tmp/ozone is the script from the above page)...

/ is rpool/ROOT/solaris
# zfs create rpool/ROOT/solaris/zone
# zfs set mountpoint=/zone rpool/ROOT/solaris/zone

That needs to be fixed.  It would cause zone boot environments to be
contained within global zone boot environments.  As new global zone
boot environments are created, you will end up with roughly 2x the
number of non-global zone BEs.

Why is that necessarily a problem?

What if I only ever have 1 boot environment?

Surely that's my problem if I end up with so many zone BEs?

If I was in the habit of upgrading, creating new BEs, validating those BEs, then deleting the old ones, why wouldn't the same apply to zones and thus result in mitigation of the problem you cite above?