I just tried adding a new zone to an 11 Express system with a number of existing zones I I got the following failure:

zoneadm -z ares install
A ZFS file system has been created for this zone.

Certificate '/var/pkg/ssl/OpenSolaris_extras.certificate.pem' has expired. Please install a valid certificate.

Certificate '/var/pkg/ssl/OpenSolaris_extras.certificate.pem' has expired. Please install a valid certificate.

ERROR: Unable to create the zone's ZFS dataset.

I've never seen this one before..

Some of the ZFS filesystems are there:

rpool/zoneRoot/ares                62K   412G    31K  /zoneRoot/tait_ares
rpool/zoneRoot/ares/ROOT           31K   412G    31K  legacy

--
Ian.