Sorry to bump this very old thread however it's the first google result for
this privilege problem so hopefully this will help somebody.

I have had a pretty similar issue, in my case the root user of a non-global
zone had the SYS_IPC_CONFIG_PRIVILEGE but other users did not.

I've gotten around this in two ways:
1. You can use the ppriv command to set this privilege for the process that
requests it (normally, you must be root to grant the privilege), e.g.:
ppriv -s A+SYS_IPC_CONFIG process_pid (you could use the shell of the logged in
user for example so you can start any number of processes with that privilege
for one session).

2. A more permanent solution is to grant this privilege to the user so that it
would always be available:
usermod -K defaultpriv=basic,sys_ipc_config user_name
As far as I understand the -K switch will replace current privileges with the
new value so if you have any other extra privileges for the user be sure to add

Hope this helps, cheers!
This message posted from