You are right about the getData, and it was probably a wrong choice. Both the getData and getChildren have an extra ACL check in the FinalRequestProcessor. My question is pretty much this: shouldn't the other request types have such a check as well? What if client B has issued a setData()? setData is only ACL-checked in PrepRequestProcessor, so it may be the case that it succeeds, while client A's the setAcl() has been ordered to be executed first.

It seems that an ACL check at the FinalRequestProcessor for most request types would solve this issue. As it is there only for getData and getChildren, I wonder why that is and if scenarios as the one above are considered important.

By the way, does Zookeeper require clients to wait for the reply for setAcl()? If not, then the "single client, single server" model would face the problem even more obviously.

Thank you for the replies,
Manos

Benjamin Reed wrote:
Manos,

in your scenario the getData will not succeed. the acl will be checked in the
FinalRequestProcessor after the setAcl has passed through the final request
processor. execution only happens in the final request processor and always
happens in order.

the only way a getData will succeed after a setAcl succeeds if it is done on a
lagging follower, but in that case it will see a lagging view of the system.
consider the following:

/foo has an open ACL

client A: setAcl("/foo", restricted ACL); setData("/foo", new data);
client B: getData("/foo");

no matter what happens, what the delays are, if B is faster or slower than A, client B
will not see "new data". it will either pass the ACL check and see the old data
or it will fail with a permission exception.

ben