Hi Manos,

On 2/10/09 6:30 PM, "Manos Kapritsos" <ma...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> You are right about the getData, and it was probably a wrong choice.
> Both the getData and getChildren have an extra ACL check in the
> FinalRequestProcessor. My question is pretty much this: shouldn't the
> other request types have such a check as well? What if client B has
> issued a setData()? setData is only ACL-checked in PrepRequestProcessor,
> so it may be the case that it succeeds, while client A's the setAcl()
> has been ordered to be executed first.
In this case both the setdata and setacl will go through the
preprequestporcesssor. Remember that all the updates are ordered in
preprequestprocessor.

Lets say this is the order:
Setdata by client B and then setACl by client A.
In this case,
The data will be set by client B and then the acl will change by client A.

In the other case :
Setacl by client A and setdata by clientB

The account of acl being changed by client A is kept in memory at
preprequestporcessor, so the next request by clientB to setdata will fail
since the acl is expected to be changed by clientA.

> It seems that an ACL check at the FinalRequestProcessor for most request
> types would solve this issue. As it is there only for getData and
> getChildren, I wonder why that is and if scenarios as the one above are
> considered important.
The above explanation should answer this.

> By the way, does Zookeeper require clients to wait for the reply for
> setAcl()? If not, then the "single client, single server" model would
> face the problem even more obviously.
Sorry, I didn't understand this. Whats your reasoning behind this?

mahadev