Mahadev and Henry,

Thanks for the warm welcome and patience. :)

The code is lightly used and has been manually tested to block and release. As
Networked Insights transitions code out of its labs it generally matures the
code through a refactor and adding additional tests. This code is still
somewhat young in the process.

Regarding what it does differently / adds, if I'm reading the existing code
correctly it adds the concept of a shared lock where many processes may lock
until the exclusive lock is reached. Only one process may hold the exclusive
lock. The use case we had in mind was kicking off a herd of machines to perform
write operations (exclusive lock) on HDFS data, but not if there was a process
reading it (shared lock).

I would love this sort of artifact to exist in the core of ZooKeeper, but
that's another email thread. :)

I think everyone has see the JIRA issue pop up (ZOOKEEPER-767). Patch is

Let me know what I can do to make this process easier! Again, thanks for the
warm reception.

Sam Baskinger
Software Engineer
Networked Insights