Joey Echeverria wrote:
Thanks for the link to the documentation. I've been running tests with
a 5 second session timeout and disconnect events appear frequent. The
network they're operating on is generally quite, but the disconnects
to correlate with an increase in activity (e.g. loading data into the
system).

As an experiment try increasing the timeout to say 30 seconds and re-run your tests. Any change?

"loading data" - could you explain a bit more about what you mean by this? If you are able to provide enough information for us to replicate we could try it out (also provide info on your ensemble configuration as Mahadev suggested)

Does this seem normal to you or does it imply a potential
configuration problem on my network?

Not enough info at this time to speculate. Can you provide the configs for at least 1 server in the ensemble (I'm assuming they are all pretty much the same)

On a related topic, I was reading the 3.1 client source code,
particularly the reconnect source, and noticed that the client sleeps
for up to 1 second before trying to reconnect. This seems excessive
and with a 5 second session timeout leads to more frequent session
expirations. Almost every time it sleeps for more than about 800 ms, a
disconnect is followed by an expiration.

You are referring to startConnect in SendThread?

We randomly sleep up to 1 second to ensure that the clients don't all storm the server(s) after a bounce.

I suspect that the following is happening:

Your client(s) is sending information to the server, the server has 1 or more outstanding requests from the client. You mentioned "loading data", at some point the server flushes the data to disk, it could be that this flush takes a significant amount of time. As there is communication btw the server and client (client sent a request, server is responding) there will be no heatbeating server->client going on while the request is outstanding (the server will not send a heartbeat because of the request being in progress). As a result the client doesn't see a response for a potentially long period of time (because of the flush).

Try using the stat & srst commands detailed here:
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_zkCommands

1) configure your test client to connect to 1 server in the ensemble
2) run the srst command on that server
3) run your client test
4) run the stat command on that server
5) if the test takes some time, run the stat a few times during the test
  to get more data points

The stat command will give you min/avg/max latency for requests to the server. If max latency goes above your timeout then you will see the disconnect on the client. This indicates that the server is probably to blame (vs say networking issues, which we see alot). Let us know the results of this test.

Btw, latency can be effected by a number of factors:
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_commonProblems

1) make sure the server JDK is not swapping (etc...) as this will kill latency 2) is the host(s) running the ZK server on dedicated devices (cpu/mem/disk) or sharing resources with other applications? 3) are you using a dedicated transaction log device (drive)? This is critical for low-latency & high throughput of the ensemble.

Patrick

Is this a bug, or desirable behavior?

Thanks,

-Joey