Adam, this is awesome! I've retweeted it on my twitter account:
http://twitter.com/phunt/status/7637054275

A few comments:

1) you are correct about the "off the shelf" part, but really alot of that is our marketing blurb, we paint with a broad stroke. I think it would make sense to include this sort of detail in the "recipes" page though, would you be interested to create a JIRA and submit some content? (you could re purpose alot of what you have in your post)

2) re zkclient - I have not been following that project closely of late, however Mahadev and I did review their code a few months ago. At that time we had some concerns about the semantic impact of some of the design choices they made (which were fine, just not well documented and therefor easy for users to miss). In particular (again, at the time, may be addressed by now) watch notifications could be lost during disconnected/expired sessions, and the user would not be made aware of this.

3) excellent point/suggestion on the "rogue" service

Patrick

Adam Rosien wrote:
I've written a blog post about using ZooKeeper for group membership at KaChing:

http://bit.ly/6yraP6
http://eng.kaching.com/2010/01/actually-implementing-group-management.html

Any comments or feedback is welcome.

.. Adam