As I mentioned, you can keep state in the disk as an echo of the diskPair.
If you don't mind a small delay after constructing the pair, then you can
just rely on the copy in the disk structure and never refer to the version
in the diskPair.

The other transitions that you describe can easily be implemented on that
same basis.