As usual, Ben says better what I was trying to say.

Henry's point that a very limited multi-update would be useful is also true,
though.  If somebody can come up with a way to do that without making things
unreasonably complicated, it would be really nice to have.

In the meantime, I will try to build lockless structures by ordering my
updates.