actually pat hunt took over that issue: ZOOKEEPER-733. pat has made a lot of progress and the patch looks close to being ready.

ps - actually, to be clear the patch adds netty support. the idea is that once we have netty in and netty supports SSL quite transparently, it should be easy to get SSL in.