Your EC2 suggestion sounds reasonable. If your deployment is able to form a local quorum most of the time, then you would be able to get a quorum of acks most of the time.

One concern is that the EC2 replica might lag behind badly, which may force the leader to either slow down or to drop the connection to the EC2 follower, assuming that EC2 server is not the leader itself.

It might not be a possibility for you, but Ideally, you could have three power sources, and have three sets of servers. We could then tolerate the failure of one power source with the mechanisms we have currently implemented.

-Flavio