Try using the logs, stat command or JMX to verify that each ZK server is indeed a leader/follower as expected. You should have one leader and n-1 followers. Verify that you don't have any "standalone" servers (this is the most frequent error I see - misconfiguration of a server such that it thinks it's a standalone server; I often see where a user has 3 standalone servers which they think is a single quorum, all of the servers will therefore be "inconsistent" to each other).

Patrick