PortalTestCase is actually only intended as a base class for CMFTestCase/PloneTestCase/CPSTestCase/whatever, not for direct use. It provides some default behavior, because, for example, the requirement to refresh the skin cache is pretty hard to figure out. The ZopeTestCase philosophy is about convenience and "plumbing included".

I am committed to keeping things up-to-date. Please make me aware of breakage, I am going to address everything that might come up.

Stefan