yuppie wrote:
1.) It would be nice to have a policy for Zope. If the Zope core officially supports the BLATHER level (not just in the deprecated zLOG module) I'm fine with using it in GenericSetup as well.

It doesn't, ZODB has a mapping for it but it's a stupid name left over from before the same timeframe as STUPID_LOGGER and some of the wacky error messages that ZServer used to spit out. I really want it to die :-(

Python has .info and .debug.

If this stuff is useful and normal people will want to know it, it should be at info.

If it's not really that interesting and is only useful when there's a problem, it should be at .debug

2.) So far IWriteLogger just defines methods that are also used by the python logging Logger. If we add a blather method we can no longer use the python logger as a replacement.

Hmmm, this sounds odd. Why does IWriteLogger even exist if it just mirrors the python logging interface?

3.) I don't think all messages should have the same logging level. E.g. if there are problems that will cause broken setups WARNING might be appropriate.

No, .error is what you want here.

.warning is for things that are problems but which don't result in broken setups.

Messages that report the success of export steps are a candidate for DEBUG.

Agreed, although a summary logged at info at the end would be nice...

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk