On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:37:41 -0000, Rocky Burt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think there are two reasons Plone 2.5 is targetting CMF 1.6 (instead
of just going to CMF 2.0)
  1) the risk that CMF 2.0 wouldn't be ready when plone -- and I'm
pretty sure the 6 month release rule has already been adopted for Plone
with Plone 2.1 -> 2.5 trying to be the first 6 month interval

This is correct, and PLIP freeze date has already passed, so now new crazy things at this point.

  2) CMF 2.0 changes too many things -- because of the plethora of
existing plone products out there and the pains that people are going
through porting them from Plone 2.0 -> 2.1, the Plone community is
striving to not do the same thing going from Plone 2.1 -> 2.5

Even more true, and it's in pre-alpha 1. Yipes. :)

The broader point is we wouldn't really need it yet - we don't have any code that actually uses these new features, and plenty of code that may be broken by changes in CMF 2. All in good time - of course, if you want to help work on CMF 2.0 compatability for the 2.5 branch when it starts stabilising, all the more chance we can get it into Plone 3.0 :)