Hi Martin!

GenericSetup uses a completely different approach than CMFQuickInstaller. It is focused on states, not on changes.

The early versions of GenericSetup (FKA CMFSetup) didn't even have extension profiles and importVarious handlers. I invented those hacks to give GenericSetup more momentum, but especially importVarious was never meant as a permanent solution. The GenericSetup UI is counter-intuitive because it was built for complete profiles/snapshots. importVarious is dangerous because it is a hack.

I know that so far GenericSetup can't replace CMFQuickInstaller. But the fact people are missing CMFQuickInstaller functionality doesn't mean it has to be implemented following the old patterns.

Install/uninstall code for CMFQuickInstaller is hard to write, usually only add-on programmers do that. Just replacing python code by XML-files will not make it much easier.

And now regarding your concerns:

- I don't think we should use the same machinery for configuration data and content. (I know the distinction is fuzzy, but the big mass is pure content.) AFAICS it is not very hard to specify areas that contain content and should not be touched if profiles are reapplied.

- The procedure I have in mind depends on the ability to create customization snapshots. As a first step the setup tool would create this snapshot. In the next step it would combine all dependencies of that snapshot minus uninstalled extensions plus new extensions. The result is a profile that contains the latest data of all selected profiles plus the customizations from the snapshot. This profile would be used to reset the site.

- Speed is not that important. It doesn't hurt if it takes a few seconds until a profile is installed or uninstalled. There are a few very expensive tasks like creating indexes. The handler can make sure indexes are not removed if the new profile needs the same index.

- I don't know if we really need a way to reset specific products. AFAICT the more common use case is to reset specific objects like tools. I'd prefer a tab on the object that allows to load preconfigured settings instead of using the setup tool for that.

- While I hope we can get rid of importVarious it would be less dangerous to use if only complete profiles are applied to the site.