Quoting Andreas Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

- --On 29. Dezember 2006 11:17:27 -0500 Edmund Moseley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Quoting Andreas Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

- --On 29. Dezember 2006 10:56:50 -0500 Edmund Moseley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
Jens,
Thanks for your generic answer. What details about my setup might help
in figureing out how I could successfully update security without my
server grinding to a halt.
Zope 2.9.5, Python 2.4.4, Plone 2.5.1
4GB of physical memory
4GB of swap
2 Duo Core processors

I have about 35,000 objects in the ZODB, but I'm sure this doesn't come
close to the total amount of memory.

We have a ZEO server and client on the same machine.

Check out the Advanced tab of your portal_catalog. There is configuration
setting (threshold or so) to enable subtransactions/savepoints.

- -aj

Thanks for this tip. Subtransactions are already enabled, and the
threshold is set to  10000. Should I drop this number? If so, by how much?

10000 should be fine in most cases....but it depends on the size of your
objects. Try to reduce it to 1000 and try again. Don't forget to restart
before reindexing..Zope/Python won't free any memory (in most cases).

- -aj

Is there a similar configuration for portal_workflow?

Thanks,
Edmund