Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
yuppie wrote:
Kapil's also right when he says that utilities by principle are context-less components.

By principle all Zope 3 code might depend on setSite to work as expected. We just don't pass that 'site context' explicitly to the component as in Zope 2.

I still don't buy that context argument. Utilities and tools both are used in the 'context' of a site.

You just gave the definition of a tool, not the one of a utility.

By 'site context' I don't mean an Zope 2 acquisition context or an adapter context. I mean the site specific local environment that is usually looked up based on setSite or provided by CMF tools.

The only difference is how the knowledge about the site is used: Just for lookups or also for acquisition wrapping.

If a tool needs to get to the site object in order to operate, it might not be such a good idea to convert it to a utility. It might make more sense as an adapter... What I'm saying is that the "all tools are utilities now" assumption might've been a bit too naive.

Of course CMF tool interfaces have some methods we would not add to a new utility interface. But most of them would become views, and as long as we pass in the REQUEST explicitly they are still valid utility methods.

I'm not aware of any tool methods that should be converted to site adapters. Most tools use the 'site context' just for the security machinery. The other reason why tools needed the context was looking up other tools, but that is obsolete in CMF 2.1 beta. I consider every other usage of the acquisition context a bug.

Zope-CMF maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]