Am 18.01.2009 um 23:00 schrieb yuppie:

> Hi Charlie!

Hiya Yuppie,

> Charlie Clark wrote:
>> Am 29.12.2008 um 15:01 schrieb Charlie Clark:
>> CMFDefault.utils
>> def getBrowserCharset(request):
>>     """ Get charset preferred by the browser.
>>     """
>>     envadapter = IUserPreferredCharsets(request)
>>     charsets = envadapter.getPreferredCharsets() or ['utf-8']
>>     return charsets[0]
>> This will always be iso-8859-1 for Opera and Firefox because all
>> charsets have the same quality, again even if UTF-8 encoding is
>> specified.
> getBrowserCharset does almost the same as
> zope.publisher.http.getCharsetUsingRequest. And it is only used for
> encoding and decoding 'portal_status_message'. It is not relevant for
> the issue you noticed.

>> I haven't been able to track where the decoding of form
>> data occurs for Zope 2 stuff but I can identify the problem in
>> zpublisher.browser.BrowserRequest
> You mean zope.publisher.browser.BrowserRequest. The Zope 2 version
> is in
> Products.Five.browser.decode.

Thanks - I thought it must have been in Five but didn't know where to

> AFAICS the fallback to other charsets is usually not required in
> Zope 3.
> If the publisher encodes responses using
> zope.publisher.http.getCharsetUsingRequest, the first charset will be
> the right one.

That seems reasonable.

>> I would suggest that we work towards enforcing UTF-8 in where
>> possible
>> but at the very least add the accept-charset attribute to forms and
>> use the portal's default_charset for this.
>> I'd very much appreciate your comments on this.
> I can't see a need to implement this in a different way than Zope 3.
> So
> I propose to fix the encoding of forms sent to the browser.

I agree that there shouldn't be implemented in a different way than
for Zope 3. And if we can solve the problems by fixing form encoding
I'm happy. Although I'd like to see UTF-8 always the first charset
returned if * the quality is the same.

One thing that did strike me when working on this is quite how often
getPreferredCharsets() is called on single request.

Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-938-5360