Something that would be nice, would be to be able to store transactions
in a separate file before packing, but I don't think it is posible in
Zope. You may have to write something to do this.

Huh? not sure what you mean... if you keep the .old file created during packing, that has all the transactions in it that would have been packed away...
I was just thinking about only keeping a log file with the transactions
without the data and let's say apply it to a packed Data.fs. It was just
a nice-to-have idea, nothing else. But I think for the OP would be
enough to keep the Data.fs.old as you said.