Charlie Clark wrote:
That doesn't work if you use offsets and limits to only return part of a
result set...

SELECT count(attribute) FROM relatiin WHERE condition

Ah, okay, now I gotcha...

only returns 1 result so it's independent of LIMIT and result sets.

I wonder how the two methods compare efficiency-wise?

Of course, ZopeDAs such as our mxODBCZopeDA can be extended to support additional commands on the connection but that is not part of the ZSQL specification and will vary from RDBMS to RDBMS as the initial mail noted.

Well, that's why MySQL does it as an SQL statement, no? ;-)