On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 08:27:00AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, I said "inefficient", not "slow".
> I think you really mean "scalable".

No, I meant "inefficient", a purposely vague term ;-) yes, I
meant to imply it isn't scalable, but not only that, and as I
didn't have the numbers, I prefered to be vague. What you say
below for memory usage also falls under "inefficient". Eating
into swap can really make a big machine crawl.

> OTOH, FileStorage has a huge memory hit for lage databases, because
> it keeps an in memory index from oid to file position.  It currently
> uses a Python dictionary for this. We could probably reduce the memory
> hit by about an order of magnitude by switching to a different data
> structure, but DCOracleStorage or a Berkeley DB-based storage doesn't
> need this index.

          Hack and Roll ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
        The biggest site for whatever-it-is-that-we-are.

http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
         pgp key: http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo/pessoal/pgp

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar