You raise some good points, the main one being "why aren't we doing it for ourselves".

The answer lies in one of the machanics of OSS: forking and splitting is bad.

Why? because it divides effort and means a project, for example Zope, overall doesn't
get as far as it would have done

That is why changes that aren't endorsed by ZC, particularly with their new legals
grasp on logos and marks, aren't
going to get anywhere.

This whole area is a fiendishly difficult problem. Mozilla hasn't got it right, some
would argue that even Linux hasn't.
The answers aren't going to be easy to find, but we as a community do need to find
them, however, only ZC can make them

And they have their own issues, what with needing to make money out of Zope, which
means intrinsically that all of us
outside of Zope Corp are in competition with them.

It's complicated...