Thanks Dieter,

I think ZPatterns is certainly worth a look. It allows you to
slice-and-dice what you want to store in ZODB or RDBMS. The best part is
you can develop totally in ZODB, then migrate to RDB a bit at a time (if
you like) without changing your app, or your data classes. We have
multiple instance of the same app mixing up ZODB, RDB, LDAP etc..  since
all the wiring of data->objects is done in configurable data managers on
an instance by instance basis.

http://www.zope.org/Members/pje/ZPatterns

for Zope-2.[45].x see also:

http://www.cat-box.net/steve/TransactionAgents