Jean-Paul Smets writes:
 > ... TCPWatch dumps demonstrating cookie problem for "__ac" cookie ...
When I read the dumps correct then *ALL* Apache + "__ac" dumps
lack the "__ac" cookie whether or nor VHM is used.
Thus, I would say, VHM is out of suspicion.

Now, Apache + Zope via "mod_proxy" is Zope via Medusa.
I do not expect Zope to behave differently when Apache is there.
As Zope (+ medusa) alone has the "__ac" cookie, this may indicate
an Apache problem.
You can verify that by using TCPWatch between Apache und Zope
(rather than between your browser and Apache).