My guess would be that it would get an OSError possible IndexError, but I'm
not sure the logic in just setting the mtime to null and continuing.
especially since it will likely just try and fail to open the file a few
lines later...

This could actually be simplified to:

    mtime = os.path.getmtime(self.filename)
except OSError: