Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do what you suggest.

I believe that a redirect always causes a GET, rather than a POST, no?

Also, hidden form fields are filled in on the original request, but the redirect
flushes the request.  All of my fields are gone!  :-(

Perhaps I could do something really nasty and override the Python method
in urllib2 that handles HTTP redirects?

Today, that code creates a new REQUEST object, throwing away the old request.
I could cause it to insert some value that I would then test for,
to distinguish the two cases.

That would be the king of all hacks, but it might work :-}