> One of the optimization we're thinking of is storing results of ZCatalog
> searches (e.g., number of replies to postings) in volatile variables so
> we don't have to run the catalog search at all.  We'd like to use memory
> space shared between threads for this.  Using ZEO would require us to
> store this in the ZODB.

Storing that in ZODB would be a bad idea. Theres no reason to think that this
cache would be faster than ZCatalog.

I dont see why you would be *required* to store in ZODB... just dont share
your cache between publisher threads on different Zope instances.

(my apologies if this is obvious)
Toby Dickenson