On Wednesday, March 24, 2004, at 04:09 AM, Chris McDonough wrote:

 but the adminstrative
headache of selectively associating content with "the right" cache
manager just seems like too much of a practical burden to make people

Having just done this again for 3 sites, I heartily agree - headache! ;)

  It would just be way easier to let people be "sloppy" about it

a) letting people associate content with multiple cache managers.

b) creating a cache manager multiplexer (which might expose a bit
   of policy for dynamic cache selection).

c) creating a different cache management architecture that provided
   caching services based more on policy than on a direct
   association (ala CMF's CachingPolicyManager).

But I really don't have the time to do the work implied by any of the
enumerated options.  I'll hopefully be able to wait until somebody else
gets suffiently indignant about the situation and takes it upon
themselves to implement one of the alternatives. ;-)