No, that's not the problem;
in THEORY that's what is happening, but in reality there is no way that this is the case;
We just unrolled a registration system with participation rates at or around 100 to 200 participants per month;
At any given time, monitoring the session data container, there are *at most* 1 or 2 items in the transient object container--EXCEPT when it spikes...

The problem is of course, when it floods, the MaxTransientObjectsExceeded error occurs site wide (the whole site crumbles and returns the error); because it's just passing back to Exception, there aren't really any useful details that get carried forward to the log (why it occured, last script that executed it, etc).

So, question--is there a way for these errors to occur internally (i.e. an improperly looping script setting null values into session, on-error demanding that session create a new object to try it again, ad infinitum), or is it possible that an external barrage of requests (denial-of-service?) is flooding the transient object container?

Chris McDonough wrote:
The data object timeout value was what I needed.  I'm afraid though that
in this case I don't have a good answer for why they're not being
expired.  I will put looking into this on my todo list.