Hi Tres,

We really need to follow a deprecation-style model here:  the risk of
breaking major third party components is pretty high.

Agreed. I see you started working on this, thanks!

Since this is a bug, and it looks like it's going to be fixed with a config option, would anyone mind if I ported this code to the 2.7 branch with the option set to do whatever 2.7.5 does?

The CHANGELOG should highlight the change, and include the zope.conf
snippet required to restore the old behavior.  We could add a
deprecation warning (if that entry is activated), that the old-style
option would be removed in 2.10.

Sounds good to me.

cheers,

Chris