I'm looking back and forth between the Zope and ZConfig sources and
documentation to see if I can figure out how to have a Product (or a
python package) to extend Zope's ZConfig schema
(a.k.a. Zope/Startup/zopeschema.xml) without having to reach into the
guts of ZConfig.

The config file syntax has a "%import" directive that allows you to add another package to handle certain config directive. That package than can contain a an XML file that describes your new configuration directives and the code to handle them.

I  posted a small sample a few months ago here:
<http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2005-January/024244.html>