On 9 Jan 2006, at 17:25, Andreas Jung wrote:
--On 9. Januar 2006 17:06:25 +0100 Florent Guillaume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My point is that the python logging levels are insufficiently fine
grained.

Sufficently enough for me.

"Sufficient for me" is not a good reason sorry. If you don't want to use them, then don't use them.

BLATHER & TRACE can be merged to DEBUG
and PROBLEM to either WARN|ERROR. This should be even enough for Zope.

No it can't. TRACE is already being used, and it would drown everyone using DEBUG if it was at DEBUG level.
Same thing, BLATHER would drown people looking for succint INFO.

The python logging framework leaves room for numeric levels and
registering equivalent strings, and indeed ZODB and zLOG have them
defined.

Of course zLOG has all levels defined for backward compatibility.
An application should possibly defines its own logger with all possibilities the logging module offers when it has the need for additional logging levels.

I will standardize those for the use case we're seeing time and again and again.

- verbose INFO -> BLATHER, which i want to rename VERBOSE
- verbose DEBUG -> TRACE

Florent