Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

This is awesome, and by that I don't mean the fact that we have a plone buildout, but that we actually have Zope 2 recipes for buildout. I hope they can be moved to for further development to benefit the whole Zope 2 community.

I believe this is just a matter of contrib agreements being sorted out (Hanno?). I guess I need to get mine sorted out as well if I'm going to keep working on this when it moves... :-/

I also see that workingenv was abandoned. That's very good to hear because buildout has a lot of machinery for installing eggs already, it would just've been duplicated with workingenv...

Workingenv made it more complex than it needed to be (or buildout did, depending on which perspective you look at it from). I believe Hanno wanted to rescue the recipe in case others found it useful, but it's not used for now.

gocept's Zope 3 instance recipe actually installs a script into the top-level bin directory, so you can do:

   $ bin/buildout
   $ bin/instance fg

Where 'instance' is the name of the instance configuration section in buildout.cfg. So, if you have multiple instances, you can start them all with according scripts from 'bin'.

It'd be really cool if z2c.recipe.zope2instance would do the same. To be frank, I think having to mess around in 'parts' sucks. I would even argue that app data like logs, databases, etc. shouldn't be in 'parts' either. You should be able to delete 'parts' and lose nothing (disclaimer: this is my view, not sure how "Buildout Jim" see it ;)).

I would tend to agree, especially since buildout has a tendency to delete things in parts/ in any case (or rather, recipes do).

I don't think it'd be hard to make such a script (perhaps more difficult to make it be cross-platform, we really need a champion for all this on the windows platform!).

It'd be trivial to change the z2c.recipe.zope2filestorage recipe to use a different directory. We probably need another "top level" directory though, because the part name is used as the directory name. Again, we just need a steer on what's recommended practice. For example, we could use ${buildout_home}/var/${part_name}...