Ian Bicking wrote:

What I would *like* the distinction between workingenv and buildout to be is that workingenv is interactive (i.e., install with easy_install) and buildout is declarative (i.e., specify your environment with buildout.cfg).

Well said.  I was looking for a way to bring this up in the discussion.
This is a key difference.

When you use workingenv, how to you reproduce an existing
workingenv? Is there something you can check in and later
check out to get the same workingenv?  Or is this just not in

They aren't *far* apart, but there's some distinctly different mechanics.

And different goals.

> workingenv's techniques (which are mostly just
setuptools/easy_install's) aren't great, and I wish they were better, but buildout's don't seem right to me either.

<shrug>  I'm very happy with the approach so far.  I know lots
of improvements can be made and I expect buildout to evolve
over time and people learn from experience with it.  Feedback
is very welcome. A number of comments you've made have led
to improvements and your *specific* comments are much appreciated.