-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Christian Theune wrote:
> Martijn Faassen schrieb:
>> Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
>>> On 2008-02-18 11:20:05 +0100, Christian Theune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>>>> Launchpad started the beta tests for their mailing list offers. A
>>>> while ago we discussed this option for future hosting of the mailing
>>>> The current implementation has the restriction that the mailing lists
>>>> can not be hosted using custom domains (@zope.org).
>>> IMHO when migrating mailing lists the addresses should not change.
>> I agree. I'm all for outsourcing the hosting of our mailing list, but I
>> think it'd be a bad idea to change all the email addresses. It'll break
>> people's settings, possibly break various archives, and so on. I think
>> you should let them know that this this is important for us.
> I'll update them to say we'll wait until we can use our own domain.
Can somebody please actually make the case for this, before we decide?
Here are a couple of things I don't know about the plan:
- What ongoing costs (bandwidth, mostly) are we incurring (covered by
ZC, probably) to run the mailman out of our own hardware.
- Will existing administrators and moderators be able to continue
working with lists as easily as currently (preferably, they shouldn't
even notice the change).
- Will any URLs (list archives, info pages, whatever) break?
- Will we be able to create new lists as easily (or more) as we can
- What will the "switching costs" be in both directions?
- Are there other advantages we should consider?
All this derives from my sense that moving our issue collectors to
Launchpad has been only a very minor win:
- Mail-in resoponses are the best feature.
- The Launchpad folks have added the 'full transcript" feature we
- However, thg content is no longer "ours" in terms of URL space.
- We are subject to maintenance windoes which are not under our
control (having the content go offline completely for hours at a pop,
without even degrading to a read-only copy, is a pretty big lose).
- The "switching cost" problem is still not solved for the collectors,
Note that I'm not bashing the choice to move the collectors: I do want
us to think harder about going further down that path, however.
Tres Seaver +1 540-429-0999 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Palladion Software "Excellence by Design" http://palladion.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Zope-Dev maillist - Zope-Dev@zope.org
** No cross posts or HTML encoding! **
(Related lists -