On Apr 16, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Roger Ineichen wrote:
Hi David

Betreff: [Zope-dev] Annoying: Download error: unknown url
type: svn -- Some packages may not be found!

I'm against using subversion URLs in buildouts.

Be that as it may....

Which package is emitting the Download error: unknown url
type: svn -- Some packages may not be found! Its quite
annoying and I have been seeing it crop up in a few builds.
Anyone else seeing this. Many thanks.

Unfortunately, setuptools and urllib2 are often not very helpful with the exceptions that raise. By the time buildout gets an exception, the useful information is often not available.

I see this too. Try the buildout debug option, probably this
will you give a better output.

Yup. You'll actually get a traceback and you can get into pdb and see what URL is being fetched.

You can also try using the -v option to see what package is being loaded when the error occurs.

I encourage you to report miss-raised exceptions to the responsible party. For example, I expect that you'll find that the URL is knows to setuptools and that you can submit a setuptools bug to include the URL in the exception. (Of course, if buildout can generate a more helpful error, I'd be happy to fix it.)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation