Tools like GenericSetup which deal with mangement of utility
registration are a bit handicapped at the moment: even though you can
register a utility using a factory the utility registration itself
only runs the factory methods but does not keep any information on it.
As a result you can not round-trip utility registration information or
check if the current configuration has changed from an original

To fix that I made a wichert-utility-factories branch of zope.component
which adds the factory information to the utility registration. All
changes are fully backbwards compatible at both the API and persistence

If there are no objections I intend to merge the branch to trunk in a
few days.