On Dec 9, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Benji York wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Tres Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Stripping all versions from the dependencies in setup.py only works
>> if
>> users are willing to run their own package indexes, and figure out
>> edge
>> cases such as the ones you describe by themselves:
>
> The above claim appears false.  Every project (both the open and
> closed)
> I work on has virtually no versions in setup.py and we don't use a
> private package index.  We use a version section in the buildout.

The "virtually" is the catch here.  They do have some.

They are typically introduced when an older version of a dependency
*does not work with the software*.  To me, "does not work" == "breaks
tests".  Because our community, and others, try for backwards
compatibility, this kind of assertion happens relatively rarely.

These setup.py assertions are always, or almost always, not "pinning"
but saying "I work with X or better."  I'm advocating these sorts of
"X or better" assertions.

Christian's zope.testbrowser change fits these characteristics.  Do
you, or Stephan, or anyone else with your opinions, have some other
additional line that must be crossed, or do you assert that setup.py
should never have any version numbers?

For instance, if you have a project that requires a newer API in, say,
zope.component, do you assert that it is inappropriate to specify a
zope.component of "X or better" in your setup.py for that project?

Gary