On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 02:55:58AM +0200, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Shane Hathaway<sh...@hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> > Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> >>
> >> I kind of suspect that we are seeing the results of
> >> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0353 though.
> >
> > That is very likely.  BTW, that PEP links to a handy tool that reveals most
> > 64 bit portability issues in Python-oriented C code.
> Right, I've given that a shot and it reports plenty of problems for
> Acquisition.c for example. In addition to the general compiler
> warnings it spits out, which don't tell me much.
> >> From what I understand we need to change code in C extension modules
> >> following the instructions in that PEP, to be able to run code
> >> reliably on 64-bit platforms. To my knowledge nobody changed any C
> >> code in Zope yet to do so.
> >
> > We fixed the C portability problems in Zope 3 a while back, but it seems we
> > didn't fix the extensions that are specific to Zope 2.
> How thorough has that been?

I'm not familiar with the source code of the extension modules, and I
haven't reviewed them for possible 64-bit issues.  But we've been
running a Zope 3 app in production on 64-bit Linux for almost two years
now.  No 64-bit-related problems bit us so far.

There's a buildbot for Zope 3.4 packages that runs their tests on 32 and
64 bit platforms on Python 2.4 and 2.5: http://zope3.pov.lt/buildbot/

Currently ZODB tests are disabled on it because they used to have
irritating spurious failures that seem to be related to the speed of the
machine rather than its platform.

I believe there's a similar buildbot for Zope 3.5 KGS out there

> I can see the Py_ssize_t in some of the c
> files in zope.* packages, but looking for example at:
> http://svn.zope.org/zope.proxy/trunk/src/zope/proxy/_zope_proxy_proxy.c?rev=95468&view=markup
> I see a stuff like this:
> PyObject *
> WrapperType_Lookup(PyTypeObject *type, PyObject *name)
> {
>   int i, n;
>   [...]
>   n = PyTuple_GET_SIZE(mro) - 1;
>   [...]
> }
> where PyTuple_GET_SIZE is defined to return a Py_ssize_t and not an int.

It shouldn't be a problem until you start seeing tuples with 2 billion
items in them, no?

> Either I misunderstand something here or I was just "lucky" to find
> something like this as my first test.

Marius Gedminas