On 04/17/2010 10:56 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 19:17, Tres Seaver<tsea...@palladion.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm ambivalent about testing the Sphinx code snippets on each test run.
>>>   I want those snippets to be *much* less comprehensive than they are
>>> currently, and am pretty sure that drift in the non-executable bits is
>>> at least as important a problem as drift in the snippets.
>>
>> Well, unless they take of time, but they shouldn't, really. I think
>> it's positive to get a quick feedback if you are breaking the
>> documentation.
>
> Again, I don't mind that part, but I want to break the cycle of jamming
> crap (for documentation purposes) into the docs for purposes of getting
> test coverage.

I think Lennart was arguing for a safety belt: if we're not supposed to
break those tests *at all* within bug fixes then I want to know right
away if I did so accidentally. I guess your coverage argument was that
if the unit tests do the coverage anyway then we won't miss anything,
but we won't be 100% anyway and as the tests in the docs do exist and
should run quickly, the safety belt would be cheap.

I'm +0.5 after some pondering.

--
Christian Theune · c...@gocept.com