Am 23.08.2010 um 15:52 schrieb Jim Fulton:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Michael Howitz <m...@gocept.com> wrote:
[...]
>> The "database opened" event from zope.processlifetime is already used,
>> zope.app.publication is needed for this function in
>> zope.app.generations.utility:
>>
>> def getRootFolder(context):
>>    return context.connection.root().get(
>>        zope.app.publication.zopepublication.ZopePublication.root_name, None)
>>
>> I think this function is needed in every generation script.
>
> Hm, this depends on a particular application (as defined by zope.app).
>
>> Is there another way to get the root folder?
>
> Some apps probably don't use a root folder.

But most apps do so, I think. I moved the getRootFolder function to
zope.app.generations from zope.app.zopeappgenerations some months ago as it was
the only reason I needed the zope.app.zopeappgenerations package.

What about a condition? Only when zope.app.publication is available, the
function gets defined. So we could get rid of it as a dependency and do not
need a separate package for this function.

>> Should the root_name be hard coded here instead of importing it?
>
> I think this is an issue for the individual zope.generations plug ins.
> Does zope.generations itself use this?

No it does not use it itself.

Yours sincerely,
--