Hi Jens,

On 2012-08-19 06:51:47 +0000, Jens Vagelpohl said:

On Aug 19, 2012, at 0:01 , Alex Clark <acl...@aclark.net> wrote:

Hi Jens,

On 2012-08-18 07:49:59 +0000, Jens Vagelpohl said:

Hi Alex,
Please revert this checkin. You can't just take core software pieces from Zope Foundation-hosted repositories and move them somewhere else.
Thanks!

I think you are confused. I would suggest you ask Jim Fulton about it, as he moved Buildout to GitHub months ago. Both 1.6.x and 2.x are under active development there.

Again, there's a confusion about perceived and legal ownership.

You care about legal ownership because it's your job to do so. I care about helping people and shipping code because that's my job. The only thing I feel like I am confused about is why the ZF is asking me to make a change when the action-that-matters was taken months ago by someone else? Why are you making an example out of me? Shouldn't you instead address the "real" issue (which is that Jim moved Buildout)?

The code is still there in the previous revision. I didn't maliciously destroy anything. Why does the ZF feel so strongly about the issue that they need to ask me to revert an innocous, nothing-but-well-intentioned change?

Have we not lost our way a bit, if this is the case? What good is the legal protection of our software, if we are just sitting around fighting about it, instead of building the software?

Sorry, Jens, I don't mean to accuse you or Tres in any way. I just don't understand this situation -at-all- and I don't understand why the "right" thing to do in this case is to focus all this attention on my trivial commit, which obviously alerted you to a situation that had already begun months ago, without me.

Alex

jens

Alex Clark ยท http://pythonpackages.com