FWIW I spoke with Jim on #buildout this a.m. and he decided to revert my commit "because people need it". I.e. Some folks rely on trunk/bootstrap existing for their builds. While I don't necessarily agree that's a good idea, the argument "because people need it" makes 1000x more sense to me than "Please revert" with no explanation. Or with a legal explanation I don't understand. I apologize to Jens and Tres if I was stubborn about this, but I did and still do feel strongly the commit I made was reasonable, and not reverting it until we could better understand the circumstances was reasonable too.

To clear up any remaining confusion:

- In the Plone community, it is quite common to make this type of change to indicate active development takes place somewhere else. We leave tags (and branches) in place in case people need them. I did not remove, or move the zc.buildout project, nor did I intend to disrupt development in any way. I simply wanted to "leave a message" on behalf of the work Jim and Domen were doing.

- Personally, I use an extension called "buildout.bootstrap" to always download the latest bootstrap.py file. Removing trunk broke my builds, at which point I cut a new release of buildout.bootstrap containing the new URL:

   - http://pypi.python.org/pypi/buildout.bootstrap/1.4.2

I hope the discussion on GitHub and Bitbucket, and other vendor services continues.

Alex Clark ยท http://pythonpackages.com