Garrett Smith wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:

Garrett Smith wrote:

:-) I guess this approach is *so* endemic to Zope 3, I must be
missing something huge.

What we're talking about is not very different from the way that
composition is used to prevent explosition of field types.

For example, we use: List(Int()) rather than IntegerList.

Note that we use a combination of type and composition,
hopefully striking a good balence.

I see your point.

But events are essentially an API and a well defined contract is better
than an implicit one. I think we're going to see a lot code that looks
like this:

  if not 'my stuff' in event.extra:

I don't think so.

I also think this is being driven by the "I can imagine..." syndrome.

I don't think that was the case with Deiter's use case.

In Zope 2, there was no event system. The closest thing to one was the
old catalog framework.  This framework allowed catalog updates to
specify which indexes were affected.  This feature was widely used.

I don't think what we're talking about is imaginary. :)

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation