Fred Drake schrieb:
On 8/31/05, Philipp von Weitershausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

HTML4 mode exists because

- it enforces some HTML document type (as mentioned before); no idea why
it does that

I'm just guessing you're referring to its understanding of the allowed
nesting structures.  This is done so that the partial well-formedness
it requires mixed with the careless infliction of pain commonly
performed by old-style HTML authors produces as few surprises as
possible.  The only well-formedness it directly enforces is for
elements that actually have TAL, METAL, and I18N attributes.  Whether
this was the right thing to do is debatable.

Another reason for the HTML mode is that many of the HTML editors
deployed when we first developed TAL were not generating XHTML, and
weren't expected to do so in the immediate future.  We definately
wanted page templates to be editable in WYSIWYG-type editors.

And, as long pages are served as text/html they are treated as old-style HTML by browsers anyway[1].

XHTML pages served as text/html must follow the compatibility guidelines[2]. E.g. in ZPT HTML mode, elements like <br/> will be converted to <br /> automagically (with space before the slash). That is a good thing IMHO.

[1] Serving XHTML 1.0
<http://www.w3.org/International/articles/serving-xhtml/>

[2] HTML Compatibility Guidelines
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines>