Tim Peters wrote:
[Chris Withers]

Oh, sorry, I meant "how do you select the right version of VC++?"

You don't; distutils does; if you use a Python 2.3 on Windows, its
distutils will use VC6 to compile C extensions; if you use a Python
2.4 on Windows, its distutils will use VC7.  It's all driven by which
Python you use to run setup.py.

*nods*

and how do you install both VC 6 and VC 7 at the same time?

Just run their installers.  They don't interfere with each other
(well, not unless you do something bizarre, like force the installers
to use the same installation directory -- accept the defaults and
there's no problem).

So, are these two what I'm after for 6 and 7 respectively?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004U6ZC/qid=1127557337/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_3_4/026-8900047-5040402

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000089GKV/qid=1127557337/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-8900047-5040402

cheers,

Chris