Tim Peters wrote:
[Chris Withers]

Oh, sorry, I meant "how do you select the right version of VC++?"

You don't; distutils does; if you use a Python 2.3 on Windows, its
distutils will use VC6 to compile C extensions; if you use a Python
2.4 on Windows, its distutils will use VC7.  It's all driven by which
Python you use to run setup.py.

and how do you install both VC 6 and VC 7 at the same time?

Just run their installers.  They don't interfere with each other
(well, not unless you do something bizarre, like force the installers
to use the same installation directory -- accept the defaults and
there's no problem).

So, are these two what I'm after for 6 and 7 respectively?

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk